Young Catholic Scholars Program
The Young Catholic Scholars program is an 8 month program which encourages a deeper appreciation, understanding and dialogue on the intersection of faith and academics.. The program offers students resources and guidance to embark on a personal investigation of how their faith impacts their academic studies and how their academic study impacts their faith. The program also offers students an opportunity to collaborate with scientists and a spiritual director and to take a leadership position in the creation of a Young Catholic Scholars series for the greater CSC community.
Sr. Mary Alice Collar,CSJ, Program Coordinator
Dr. Mary Pat Henehan, MPH, MA, DMin, LMFT, Program Scholar
Dr. William Stenson, Program Scholar
Dr. John Costantino, Program Scholar
Fr. Patrick Baikauskas, OP Theologian
Recipients of the Young Catholic Scholars Program grant will be awarded $1000 for the length of the program (September 2020 – April 2021). They will work with the committee listed above for the 2020-2021 school year as the student leaders of the Young Catholic Scholars Program
Interested students must meet the following requirements to apply
- Be a full-time undergraduate or graduate student in solid academic standing
- Be an active member of the Catholic Student Center
- Have a strong desire to invest time and effort in a personal study of how their Christian faith impacts their academic study, and to engage the CSC community in a discourse on this topic.
Catholic Student Center Young Catholic Scholars will:
- Work with program committee during the 8 month program to provide an opportunity for the CSC community to grow in faith and academics through events such as book discussions, visiting speakers, or an ongoing blog throughout the program.Meet monthly with personal spiritual director.
- Meet with committee as needed to plan and execute the academics and faith program.
- Write a final paper at the end of their scholarship period summarizing what they have learned about how their faith impacts their areas of academic study and present the findings in a forum open to the CSC community.
- Attend a conference on faith and academics. (In your area of study if possible)
The following materials must be submitted to Sr. Mary Alice Collar (hard copy or via email) by June 30, 2020.
- A completed application form.
- A letter of interest, indicating the applicant’s reasons for wanting to participate in the program, qualifications, and willingness to meet the requirements
If you have questions about the program, contact Sr. Mary Alice (email@example.com or 314-458-4307) for more information.