Young Catholic Scholars Program
The Young Catholic Scholars Program is an 8 month program which encourages a deeper appreciation, understanding and dialogue on the intersection of a student's faith with their area of study. The program offers a student resources and guidance to embark on a personal investigation of how their faith impacts their area of study and how their study impacts their faith. The program also offers students an opportunity to collaborate with mentors in their field as well as a spiritual director and to take a leadership position in the creation of a Young Catholic Scholars series for the greater CSC community.
The recipients of the Young Catholic Scholars Program grant will be awarded $1000 for the length of the program (August 2018 through April 2019.) They will work with the committee listed above for the 2018-2019 school year as the student leaders of the Young Catholic Scholars Program.
Interested students must meet the following requirements to apply:
- Be a full-time undergraduate or graduate student in solid academic standing.
- Be an active member of the Catholic Student Center.
- Have a strong desire to invest time and effort in a personal study of how their Christian faith impacts their area of study, and to engage the CSC community in a discourse on this topic.
The Young Catholic Scholars will:
- Primarily be responsible for the planning and executing of the Young Catholic Scholars program between August 2018 and April 2019 at the CSC, and meet as needed to plan and execute this program.
- Meet monthly with Program Directors for personal spiritual direction and mentorship.
- Work with the Young Catholic Scholars committee to create an 8 month outreach program for the CSC community that will address the intersection of faith and academic studies. Planning an event might include providing an opportunity for book discussions, bringing in visiting speakers, or creating an-ongoing blog throughout the program.
- Write a final paper at the end of their scholarship period summarizing what they have learned about how their faith has impacted their area of academic study and present the findings in a forum open to entire CSC community.
A letter of interest, indicating the applicant's reasons for wanting to participate in the program, qualifications, and willingness to meet the requirements is also requested with the application. Please submit this application by May 13th.